Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I Just Met the Meanest Man

Yes, the meanest man.

This morning I had a terrible headache. I got up, took Sarah and Maddie to school, came home, showered and jumped back in the van to get Amanda to her school. I had to go back to Sarah and Maddie's school for a PTA board meeting. I knew I needed a cup of coffee so I stopped at my very favorite little coffee place. As I got out of my van I noticed someone had written on the sidewalk in big pink chalky letters...

WHY HAVE WE DESTROYED A NATION?

I am a big fan of random political speak. It made me smile, but I was still oblivious because of the headache, I walked in the door, and was pulling it shut behind me, and the lady at the table next to the door said, "Oh there is someone behind you," and there was a man trying to get in. I pulled the door open, and I said, "I am sorry, I didn't see you! I guess you can come on in!" and he looked at me with the most contempt filled face and said, "Well that's really funny." We approached the counter at the same time and the girl asked me if she could help me, and I said, "I just closed the door in this gentleman's face, please take his order first." He turned and glared at me, and then asked for coffee. By this time I was pretty uncomfortable around him, so I decided to give him a wide berth. I stood close to this nice young guy who was sitting and having a cup of coffee with his mom, and just patted him on the shoulder, because I was invading his space, and he was being very cool about that. Mister Sunshine got his coffee, added his flavorings and left. I got up to the counter and ordered my latte, and chatted with the owner and his daughter for a few minutes, and left.

I got outside and into my van before I noticed that Mr. Sunshine was sitting at a table in front of the coffeehouse. I started the van and waved and smiled like he was a lifelong friend, and pulled away. But as I did he sneered, actually curled his lips in disgust at me. What a jerk!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, my husband (soon to be ex) is the meanest man. Possibly he's the guy you met up with.

Blog Deleted said...

Why did you say something so snotty to him...sorry but that was kinda snotty ..I guess you can come in ...some people don't have the mental capacity to understand sarcasm.

Anonymous said...

Worst. Story. Ever.